Saturday, October 17, 2009

We're going to the library...


Thanks to my son I have been re-discovering so many things, it's as if i've been presented a new pair of eyes, although I wish they'd come with 20/20 vision because i'm as blind as a mouse. Mainly it's been a lot of self-assessment and re-evaluating everything about myself, life, etc., you guys get me. And as much as it's been a spiritual journey thus far it's also been about letting go and having fun. Enjoying the things that I thought I wasn't really suppose get excited about anymore, like going down slides and getting on the swings and going as I high as I can ;-), such a phenomenal feeling.

The library is one of those places I stopped attending for leisure many many years ago. It's mainly due to the fact that I have been in school for pretty much my whole life, I'm currently on medical leave for grad school, and going to the library over time became more of a task rather than a choice. When it comes to personal reading I have either been buying used books or borrowing from friends and/or my sister; the library was not even an option because I had not ,until recently, taken out an nyc library card (i'm a proud jersey girl, always will be). However, once my son got a little older I needed to find places we could go where, a)he can crawl around and tire out and b)it's free or very little cost (being a stay at home mommy, I can't afford all these high priced baby activities here in the city, free or affordable is what i'm all about, oh and it has to be fun and safe of course as well), the public library ,which happens to be a street over from us, fit the bill.

We love our library (110th between lex. and 3rd, if you are ever in our neighborhood) it's old and rather small but it's great, especially if you are looking for a fuss free space to let your baby crawl around and explore. The kids floor, in this location it's the second floor, has a baby book section with a big colorful rug so that the kids can sit and read or crawl around in our case. Also, the librarians are great, very friendly and they let us crawl around as much as we want (yes, I said "us", I crawl right behind my little j sometimes, picking up after him or just chasing him so that he can crack-up as he tries to speed up).

I absolutely encourage you guys to get out to the library and support our civic institutions, we all benefit from them. For a lot of kids, from what I have witnessed in my neighborhood, the library serves as a safe haven especially for those whose parents cannot pick them up from school and cannot afford babysitting. Bu that's a topic that merits it's own piece. Plus, instead of spending money on books and videos for you and your kids just get them from the library or put them on reserve if they are not readily available. Let me tell you, this whole reserve thing was very exciting to me. I mean all I had to do was give the lady the tittles of the books i've been coveting and if they are not at that library they will reserve them and call me when they arrive, that's great, who has money to go spend on new books all the time. If you are like me, more than likely you will find me reading two books at a time, this is a fabulous option.

My main objective is to share with you guys what works for my family and hopefully inspire you to try them out or find your own special places. For us one of those places is our neighborhood library, visit yours!


Current Library Picks:

For Baby>>The Eentsy, Weentsy Spider-Fingerplays and Action Rhymes
We love this book because the rhymes are fun, easy, and help teach babies about their bodies, directions, and coordination.

Harry Houdini for Kids-His Life and Adventures with 21 Magic Tricks and Illusions
I looove this book! Houdini was a truly talented individual with a very interesting tale to be told but it's also very fun to learn basic tricks and illusions, at least I think so. I must be honest on this one, my son recently turned one so he's not really understanding what i'm reading but I still read out loud to him and do it in an animated manner so that at least I get a laugh, at the end of the day that's all I need ;-)

Scholastic Video Collection's>The Wheels on the Bus...and more sing-along favorites
I am so happy we came across this video, my son loves it and so do we. There's five classics in the video (The Wheels on The Bus, Dem Bones, Over In The Meadow, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly, and a bonus song tittled "I want a Dog"), the animations vary from song to song and are fantastic. I can't say enough good things about this video, it's a must have for kids. Our favorite is Dem Bones, it's jazz inspired, we dance and sing-along like a couple of crazy chickens.


For Parent's>> 1491-New revelations of the Americas Before Columbus (Charles C. Mann)
I'm a big nerd (as my fiance lovingly puts it) and this book totally appeals to that side of me. The recent Columbus Day holiday inspired me to go out and read up on what really went down, plus I really enjoy learning about past times and people's. If you have any interest in anthropology and the sorts or to be specific, Pre-Columbian America, than this book is for you. I haven't finished it yet but so far so good.

Sorrow's Kitchen-The life and Folklore of Zora Neale Hurston (Mary E. Lyons)
Zora Neal Hurston is one of my favorite authors, she wrote "Their Eyes were Watching God", a very touching human story. She led a colorful life, died poor and sick but left a powerful legacy especially for women writers and African-American folklore. This book is written for kids and that is why I like it, it's an interesting quick read.



Until next time friends, I will be sharing with you my favorite library picks from time to time, be on the look-out. And please share with me your fave. picks, books or videos, I look forward to hearing from you...



Sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment