Saturday, April 10, 2010

Soulful, Creative, Dark...

For some reason Alexander McQueen, the designer,  is heavy on my mind today. So, I decided to write about him...I'm not exactly sure why he's on my mind, yes I was both sad and intrigued when I read that he had passed on and by way of suicide at that, so so sad. It could be because i'm starting to really tap into the creative chamber of my soul and with that comes a flood of emotions-happy, amazed, somber, melancholy, angry-to name a few. He created beautiful, raw, impacting statements inspired by everything from politics to sociology through his fashion designs. Furthermore, he was truly a talented designer, mastering different aspects of the creation process from tailoring to pattern cutting. Something rarely seen in these times. A true artist...
Now, just for the record, I'm not a fashion junkie by any means much less a serious follower of high fashion (these days I can't even afford to look that way) but I do deeply appreciate creativity and elegant aesthetic; And that he was, along with funny, witty, romantic, sensitive, tough, complex, soulful, and dark all rolled in one, much like a lot of us. He absolutely had an allure about him, he's one of those individuals who was born to do what he did-impress, shock, and wow us with his visionary and avant-garde approach to fashion. What a sad end, to his story though, I wish he could have held on. Yes, the journey gets tough at times, some stretches longer than others but life is a gift and it's not our business to end it. But it is our business to make the best of it, give it all we got, and stay humble. God will always carry us through, believe that!

Here are some links which I found good reads...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/fashion/04mcqueen.html?scp=2&sq=alexander%20mcqueen&st=cse
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/fashion/04mcqueen.html?scp=2&sq=alexander%20mcqueen&st=cse
 Another intriguing soul of the fashion world, Isabella Blow, his muse of many years...
http://nymag.com/news/features/34732/

No comments:

Post a Comment